Man de la Maza

Friday, October 01, 2004

One piece at a time

Tried working through the concentric squares exercises for just one piece, the bishop, for the whole hour. This was good for pattern recognition. Also I noted that it takes about the same amount of time to go through the 48 squares around d5 as it does to go through the last 15 around the last two sides. This makes sense though since there are 5 distinct patterns in the 5x5 and 7x7 squares, and 8 patterns in the 15 squares outside the 7x7 square. The inner patterns are also repeated more times making them easier to remember.

Went to chess club Thursday night. Some of the tactical rust is starting to come off my game. I played a couple of games that fell squarely in the "doesn't suck horribly" category. I think this is not related to exercises but the general playng I'm doing lately. I've also started to run through the occassional set of 10 problems on CT Art just to keep from getting too bored.

Did exercises Wed and Thurs night. 9 down, 146 to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home