Man de la Maza

Friday, December 10, 2004

Stale

Played a G/25 quad last night at chess club. Though number 2 in my quad, I scored an anemic 0.5. Should have scored 2.0 (number 1 guy was out of my league). Three thoughts:

1) I really suck at Action chess. I always have, and I always will (and "That's OK".)

2) My brain is a bit scrambled. I think I'm having trouble assimilating all the tactical themes floating around in there. The board looked like a jumble of pieces all night long. I have heard of new skills making your game worse, and I think I am experiencing it.

3) As I sat down to me first game, I thought "I don't want to do this. I'm sick of calculating".

Only the third thing bothered me. It's a training thing that has happened to me with running before. Sometimes you get a bit stale. Usually the best solution is to take a day off.

So I did. Went home and went to bed. think it was the right decision.

74 days down, 81 to go
1039 probs down, 170 to go in Circle One

1 Comments:

  • Chin up. Sounds like you might be burning out a bit. I'd try and avoid action chess. MDLM suggests you stay away from it as well. But then again if you are spending a few hours a day doing tactics, that doesn't leave much time for longer time control chess.

    I live in Montana which is not exactly a burgeoning chess mecca. There is a local club here, but I've avoided it because I know if I go there all I'll play is blitz games and lose.

    It will probably take several games before you learn to incorporate your new found tactical skills.

    By Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza, at 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home