Man de la Maza

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The Dream

I was wandering through a village after a long day of battle. I had vanquished two score evils knights blocking the road (who were perversely traveling with a man dressed as a shepherd). As I trudged into town, I came across a peasant. He asked for alms and I reached into my purse to give him some of my gold. When my hand came out, it contained only dented copper.

Suddenly the world around me changed. I was no longer riding the proud Rocinante but a broken down old plow horse. I was clothed in ridiculous armor with a barber's basin for a helm. My faithful squire Sancho appeared as a fat peasant on a donkey. All had changed. I remembered a far away home with a roof that needed mending.

I was not a knight errant but a foolish old man.

I screamed in agony and called forth the wicked enchater who had cast this spell on me. I drew my (rusty) sword, and all was a flash.

I must have slept for a long time to break off the spell. Back was my warhourse, my gleaming armor and my noble squire Sancho. (He will be governor of one of my islands some day, you know). There was much to be accomplished and I had lost 3 days in sleep. I worked out that even three days late, I would still arrive at my destination by Christmas day.

Come Sancho. There is evil just up the road. I have its scent like a hound to a fox.

To arms! To arms!



46 days down, 109 to go
536 probs down, 673 to go in Circle 1

3 Comments:

  • Thanks to all for your good wishes and support. The journey continues.

    -Don

    By Blogger Don Q., at 6:33 AM  

  • That's a pisser. I just came back from a 2.5 hour rated game tonight. I had black and got in trouble early, ultimately resulting in being a pawn down. I worked hard to create some chances with two knights who were working together very well. Turns out a missed a move that would have gotten me back the pawn and given me a slight advantage (pretty basic one too). Instead I opted for a wimpy knight retreat and folded like pup tent 5 moves later.

    Still working on it.

    Congrats on giving your computer a run for its money. I haven't been able to give my computer a good game since I stopped playing Sargon 3. What program do you use?

    By Blogger Don Q., at 8:06 PM  

  • I have the same problem playing against a computer. Can't quite put enough in the game to play really well. I never play the computer anymore though I do use it frequently to analyze games. Nothing like having a master level player check your games for tactical errors.

    I've always prefered playing people because the game is so much more unpredictable. With the ubiquity of chess on the internet, you can find a good game of chess anytime day or night against players of all levels.

    OTB tournament chess has always and will always be my favourite. When you devote a good 3-4 hours to one game of chess, you really learn a lot. This is when I truly feel I am experiencing the game.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home