Man de la Maza

Friday, November 12, 2004

Triple Witching

It's just after midnight as I have reached three significant milestones at once. First, I drove my ELO over 2100. In my last problem set tonight, I went over 2100 and stayed there despite dropping 7 points on the last problem (like I was gonna find the 7 moves Mikhail Tal made in 1962!). Yes, I am fully aware that this is silly fictitous number, but it is fun all the same. Second, I am halfway through the problems in Circle One. Woo-hoo!! Third, I have completed the level 30 problems.

Circle 1 should be the nastiest from my perspective. Circle 2, 3 and 4 will be work though not as much suffering. The last 3 cirlces will be taxing but mostly pattern recognition (either I'll get it or not). The big push will come between now and Christmas. Problems will keep getting harder. I see a lot of staring at the screen in my future. If I can keep really working at it and not sluff off, I think I will make some real progress in the next 40 some days.

All things considered, I have made it much further than I ever thought I would.

49 days down, 106 to go
617 problems down, 592 to go in Circle One

2 Comments:

  • Congrats!

    You are providing me the much-needed motivation to start my serious study of tactics :) BTW, are you following "Rapid Chess Improvement" schedule or you have one of your own?

    By Blogger Kannan Ramanathan, at 10:08 PM  

  • I am trying to follow the schedule put forth in "Rapid Chess Improvement". So far I haven't been able to keep to it absolutley, but I'm not too far off the mark. The first circle was supposed to be completed in 64 days; it will probably be more like 67 (or 70).

    Looked through your blog. Was an interesting mixture of topics. I too thought "Shaun of the Dead" was a great movie. In fact, I went ot see it with my good friend who has a blog at cubefarmer.blogspot.com. If you have another day where you are put out with "annoying fellows" you might check out his blog. His life is one long stream of them. I too have an impressive collection of chess books with chapter one completed. Someone on "Chess Ninja" has referred to this as the "Rapid Chess Acquisition" strategy.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home