Man de la Maza

Monday, May 22, 2006

Talk is cheap. When are you going to so something, Don?

Err, no time soon. August, maybe.

Why?
I do want to make another constructive jab at chess improvement, but taking a bite of a reality sandwich, it ain't going to happen before August. I've got a big project coming in at work, and I'm going away to school for the month of July. (I'm training to be a high school math teacher, but as Robert Howard would say, "That is another story".) Since I only go to school one month of the year, you can imagine when all my homework is due. 'Nuff said.

So what is this blog going to be about until then?
I offer you the rare chance of chess schadenfreude. In June, I will be playing one rated game/week at my local club. If my early results are any indication, I should go down in a blaze of glory. I think Zukertort's nervous collapse in his world championship match versus Stenitz will look dignified by comparison. My rating floor is 1500, a full 217 points below my current 1717, and I think I might even need that safety net before Fourth of July weekend. Here is your chance to watch someone flipping around like a fish on the dock.

You're kinda nuts.

You're just realizing this?

My purpose is not all masochistic. I am finding what has happened to my chess ability very interesting. I've come back after layoffs before. One is always rusty, but this is something new. My heightened pattern recognition combined with my severely weakened calculation ability has made me an abysmal player. I really do think I am playing worse than I have ever played. I think that my experience may shed some light on why people get kookie about their rating ("I couldn't pay because I didn't want to risk the rating points") and why people drop out of the game and never come back.

Is that really it?
Pretty much. That and it's kinda fun to think of new ways to describe how much I suck.

7 Comments:

  • Hey Don,

    Sounds good. I know you'll keep us updated (and entertained) on your experiment. I'm curious if De La Maza ever experienced the same thing but was afraid to go public with it (for obvious reasons). But I suspect that your drop in strength is only temporary and you'll be in top form within a month or two of getting back into the game. Calculating muscle can be worked back into shape. Pattern recognition comes with experience. Heisman says it's the main thing separating Masters and Grandmasters.

    PS

    By Blogger Pawnsensei, at 11:37 AM  

  • I was trying to the circles training... AND... play semi regularly... AND finish my MAsters degree ( EE) ...AND hold a job... AND be a rpoductive member of my family ( wife ..kids ... soccer..etc) My rating dropped to the depth of 1357 .... then I got my degree last MAy ( 2005)... stuck to the training.. finshed this past month... rating climbing to new heights ( 1600's) .. drawing with masters... beating class A players... climbing to new floors(?!) ... yes I am insane... but I am smiling!

    Hang in there... we'll take you either way. You've been an inspiration for me.

    By Blogger BlunderProne, at 8:32 PM  

  • At least in one direction you can keep up with a pace of 400 points in 400 days:)

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 1:26 AM  

  • So what happened at the first encounter of Knights? Did the room glow? Or were you overcome by voices
    that kept whispering something like...
    "There can be only one." which immediately led to a chess match in where the loser's head popped off
    and the winner absorbed the vanquished player's chess ability? :)

    By Blogger Sancho Pawnza, at 5:13 PM  

  • I was the TD and house player that night, so I didn't play. He played a splendid game that included a bold rook sacrifice. Afterwords we played an offhand game (which I won). The result is not important (since I won).

    Kidding aside, Josh is nice fellow and probably should not be associating himself with you bums.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 10:02 AM  

  • I couldn't find 'bum'in my dictionary. What are we talking about?:)

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 3:53 AM  

  • Tempo,
    Sanch and my exchange refers to my prior post where I talk about meeting Dread Pirate Josh face to face.

    "Bum" is slang for a person of little value or worth. Typically it is used to refer to an alcoholic homeless person or a lousy boxer.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home