Man de la Maza

Friday, January 21, 2005

Gentleman's Game

Reading an article on chessbase about Wijk aan Zee. As usual, the article has a few pictures of grandmasters analyzing the games afterwards. This always make some feel a close kinship with these great chess minds. Even though they are fierce competitors, after the game they sit down and discuss it with each other. Part of this is a tradition of being a gentleman's game; part of it, I think, is our helpless love of the game itself.

Got a bit behind last night. Have a rest day scheduled for Sat since I'm playing in a tourney. Perhaps I can catch up then. Played a good game at club last night. My opponent was a solid B player, but I was able to capture the point. Hope I play as well on Saturday.

110 days down, 45 to go
718 problems down, 320 to go in Circle Two
Level 10: 97%
Level 20: 88%
Level 30: 76%
Level 40: 69%

PS Somebody please throw Morozevich a life preserver.

2 Comments:

  • Good luck Saturday. Let us know how the tournament goes. I'd really like to know if you think the training has improved your game significantly and if it helped you in the tournament.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:29 AM  

  • Good luck Don! Show them what you got!

    On your post I heartily agree with you. That is one of the things that I find so intriguing about chess as a sport. I've played a few sports in my life but the two that had the most comraderie between practitioners was martial arts and chess. I think because both sports are misunderstood.

    With chess people who don't play it think that it is just a game and they frown upon those who are more serious about it. I have been told before not to mention to people who don't play chess, about my passion for the game. I should have listened. My brother has already warned me that I am getting obsessed with chess. This type of behavior tends to isolate the serious chess player.

    I also find that there are a lot of non-serious players in chess because there is little commitment to play a game. These people sometimes harrass the more serious ones. They quit games prematurely, use computer programs to cheat, play blitz to get more points, and I have even seen someone go to the lengths of hacking a game. Because of this, when I find a serious player I stick to them like glue. I find that when those players know you are a serious player too they try their best to help you out as well because they know what you are going through.

    By Blogger Pawnsensei, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home