Man de la Maza

Monday, January 10, 2005

Jogging with Bruce Denton

In the book, Once a Runner, the protagonist describes the process of training with an Olympic miler, Bruce Denton. The most striking thing is not the intensity of the workouts. In fact, when he arrives loaded for bear on the first day, he is a bit disappointed. He had expected a really challenging workout, but what he gets instead a good, solid workout. He and the other newbies can't believe how easy it is.Around week two, people start to bail out as it dawns on them the true grit of the program is that it is the same thing day after day. After a while you start to break down.

Definitely the same thing with this. It's not that doing 2 hours of chess tactics is that hard -- it is doing it every single day. I had my first hiccup this weekend and I'm going to have to drop back the schedule a day. This seems almost inevitable given my life and frankly level of commitment. If you really wanted to get the most out of it though, I would suggest sticking to the schedule without fail.

Between now and the end of Cirlce Seven I am actually planning to drop back a couple more days because of some commitments on the weekend of March 5th. I figure no need to plan for them, they will happen all by themselves.

99 days down, 56 to go
402 problems down, 807 to go in Circle Two
Level 10: 97%
Level 20: 88%

2 Comments:

  • Looks like the Knights Errant club is growing. Are all of you in the same area?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:19 PM  

  • Nope. I'm in the Southeast. Sancho is in North Carolina. Pale Morning is in Montana, and the rest I can't recall off the top of my head. We are strictly a net phenomena.

    Celtic music, huh? Cool. Besides the occasional listen to the "Thistle and Shamrock" on NPR, I don't get to hear a whole lot of Celtic music. I always like what I hear though.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home