Man de la Maza

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Meeting of the Knights

Sounds like it's time for a meeting. I don't know that there is that much to talk about but it might be helpful to compare notes. If I don't have to be secretary, then I'm up for it. How's about Sun night at 10 PM eastern, 7 PM pacific? We could meet in a game room at www.pogo.com as Generalkaia suggests. If someone knows a better place for chatting, please let me know. I don't have AOL IM though. Please post your thoughts in the comments.

Stick it out, Sancho
I know you think the software sucks and that it may not be the best use of 15 days to grind out the rest of the program, but I am pretty sure that you will feel a lot better later if you finish these last two weeks. You have invested a lot of time, and it make sense to finish.

changing Gears
Based on yesterday's reflections, I've decided to alter my own plan a bit. I had been planning to mirthlessly grind out the remaining circles as originally planned, but I've decided to adopt Sancho's strategy of only doing through level 60. Much to the pleasure of the lovely Dulcinea, I am planning on limiting exercises to 2 hours. The Empress de la Maza is supportive, but there had been a few coments about me constantly doing chess problems.

Sancho truncated things because he was disenchanted with the software. In my case, I think those problems are just too hard for me. I may come back to them later, but I see more benefit in working the lower 60 more. As noted by the donkey-riding-peasant, this still is more than 1000 probs as suggested by de la Maza.

In future posts I think I will outline a a method for determining what probs one should tackle based on their ability. I think it is a good idea to go through the whole set once like Pale Morning Dun plans to do. If I were better at tactics, it might make more sense to hit all 1209. For the adult player too, I think it is important to figure out a strategy that limits comittment to 2 hours up until the last 3 circles.

In this vein, last night I did 35 level 40's rather than the originally planned 46. I've even put a few planned rest/review days in the schedule.


107 days down, 48 to go
651 problems down, 387 to go in Circle Two
Level 10: 97%
Level 20: 88%
Level 30: 76%
Level 40: 75%


3 Comments:

  • Hey MDLM
    I think that your idea is good. I would like to meet on Sunday at 7 western time. How does the intermediate room greenspan sound to you? It is almost always devoid of players, so it wouldn't fill up.

    Thanks for responding
    generalkaia

    By Blogger Calvin, at 3:09 PM  

  • Hey Don,

    Sounds good to me. I don't think we need a secretary. I'm sure all of us will put our thoughts on our blogs anyway. I just want to touch bases with everyone and maybe start scheduling a time for us to play each other on a regular basis (every Sunday for an hour perhaps?) so we can help each other out and gauge each other's progress. Generalkaia and I both agree that it would be good for our development.

    It's like one of the Sensei's said. When he was younger everyone would train hard during the week so that when it was sparing time they could kick each other's *&#es. Nothing like a good butt whuppin to motivate a guy. Anyway, see you guys on Sunday.

    Your fellow in arms,
    PS

    By Blogger Pawnsensei, at 4:37 PM  

  • Per Sancho's blog, Sunday works for him

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home