Man de la Maza

Sunday, February 20, 2005

15

Started Circle 4. Missed one stinking problem in level 10 and let out an emphatic "Oh!" the likes of which have not been heard in my house since Louis Lipps dropped a touchdown pass in the Super Bowl (in like nineteen-ninety-something). Level 20 went well too. These patterns are deeply ingrained now. It is shocking to think that they used to take me 4 minutes/prob, and I was missing 15%.

Yesterday was ... dare I say ... fun. I've pretty much got the first 2 levels licked. Blowing through them feels like I am one of those martial arts masters taking on 27 attackers ("You serve the evil Black Hand ... Fwap! ... and you stole my rice cakes ... Wonk! ... "). I did an extra 42 probs to get a head start on today. I have a meeting tonight, so I might not get to the problems until late.

Tried to do a little review of the Level 30 problems that have given me trouble in Circle 3. As I went through the problems on Circle 2 and 3, I would write down the problems I missed and maybe a hint or key to the solution. I have not gotten back to reivew all the ones I missed, but I try to get to the ones where I have made the note "Interesting mating pattern" or "Do not miss this one again, [expletive deleted]!" I note that once I see the "key" to the problem, I usually don't miss it again. I started dong this in Circle 2 because I noted I was not only getting the same problems wrong again but also calculating the same unfruitful lines.

141 days down, 14 to go
278 problems down, 761 to go in Circle Four
Level 10: 99%, 27 sec/prob
Level 20: 96%, 43 sec/prob

2 Comments:

  • Good idea to make a note of what problems have given you trouble in the past. I just started keeping track of this based on your recommendation. It will be interesting to see if I miss those problems on future passes.

    Regards,
    Chris

    By Blogger fussylizard, at 8:52 AM  

  • Don,

    Thanks for the idea. I also started doing this with Seirawan's book. Notes like "Overlooked knight at e5 defends bishop at f3". If I had this note the second time around I probably wouldn't have missed it again.

    PS

    By Blogger Pawnsensei, at 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home