Man de la Maza

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Picking up the Gauntlet

I received a friendly invitation to a joust from my net friend, Patzer King. He proposes that as true test of methods that we should post our OTB ratings and see who's rating goes up the most in the next 6 months by playing between 20-40 games.

I accept.

I cannot guarantee the number of games I'll be able to play, but I am pleased to post my ratings. In fact, I was planning to let readers verify these things for themselves later (like you can for Michael de la Maza), but now seems as good a time as any.

My name is Randolph Evans. My USCF ID # is 12485113. Here's the link to my rating. My starting rating is 1573, but I have already played 5-6 games that have not come through yet.

Well met, Sir Knight. To your lance!

PS I'll stil go by Don and will answer to Randy as well, but only my mother and USCF calls me Randolph.

PPS I got so caught up in all this that I forget to offer a warm welcome to our newest knight, Yet Another Patzer. He claims to write blog entries only once every 2 years, so in his next entry we should get a good idea of the long term impact of the program. Also pleased that our network now reaches as far south as Argentina. Very cool. Welcome YAP and good luck.

PPPS OK, I gotta stop reading blogs and emails and goto bed, but just one more welcome tonight for King of the Spill. Sounds like he's been at it for awhile, and I should be interested in hearing more about solving chess problems and having a life.

In addition, Fussy Lizard has now got himself a blog too.

5 Comments:

  • Okay, Knights. I decided to join the bandwagon and spend yet more time on chess improvement by maintaining a blog of my experience.

    Technical question: How does one add sections on the right-hand side such as links, lists of the other Knights, etc.?

    Good luck, sir Don, on your joust!

    Regards,
    Chris

    By Blogger fussylizard, at 9:30 PM  

  • Logis,

    I think the players that will realize the most benefits from de la Maza's program would fall in the class B, C, and D category. In fact, that's why we are class B, C and D players. We have not mastered the tactics that are the currency needed to implement chess plans. While the program probably could assist class A players and above, I think the results will not be as drastic.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 4:13 AM  

  • Logis -

    De La Maza says as much when he indicates that he would have to do different types of training to reach Master. In my case, I am an "A" player (who by the way loses my share of games to "B" and "C" players), though as you know my role in the Knights is as a journalist, not a participant in the MDLM program. Nevertheless, I suspect that some tactical training would help my game (just don't know where I would find the time).

    Thanks for referring to me as "one of the leaders", but in point of fact Don and Sancho were the ones who blazed this trail for several months before I discovered them in December. To the extent that my posts on the Knights and finding other like-minded blogs like Pale Dun helped build this on-line community ... well, that's been a benefit to all of us.

    By Blogger David Glickman, at 9:45 AM  

  • FWIW I go over practically all of my standard games with Chessmaster 8000 and check out chess.FM for annotated games a few times per month. Unfortunately those games are often over my head, but little bits of information seep in. Without a bigger chunk of positional and tactical knowledge, it's hard for me to get much from current GM games. I could easily blow one of their won or drawn positions. That's probably why "Logical Chess, Move by Move" is so frequently recommended; a great collection of very accessible master level games.

    By Blogger King of the Spill, at 10:09 PM  

  • Back to the original post - Go get him Don! Remember, he is only a patzer ;-)!

    By Blogger King of the Spill, at 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home