Man de la Maza

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Stick a Fork in It

because Circle 3 is done!

Tomorrow I start the eight day circle. 236 problems. That's a lot of chess problems, but a tomorrow problem.

For now, I am enjoying the traditional 24 ounce Arrogant Bastard Ale.

New Knights
We seem to be growing quite a bit lately. Welcome to Desperate Measures and Takchess.

Desperate Measures has been at it for a while and is considering doing a few pre-circle laps with "Winning Chess Tactics". (Fatboy might want to check this blog out. If I am reading between the lines correctly, he is our first representative from the Great White North.

Takchess comes to us via the interesting path of reading about chess politics in "Bobby Fischer Goes to War". Usually politics drives people away from chess. I'd like to hear what he thought of the book.

Welcome all!

140 days down, 15 to go
1039 problems down, 0 to go in Circle Three
Level 10: 96%, 44 sec/prob
Level 20: 93%, 79 sec/prob
Level 30: 78%, 114 sec/prob
Level 40: 70%, 141 sec/prob
Level 50: 65%, 148 sec/prob
Level 60: 55%, 160 sec/prob

4 Comments:

  • 15 to go is awesome - I hope to see another press conference!

    By Blogger King of the Spill, at 12:32 AM  

  • Jolly good show!

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 1:58 AM  

  • Awesome, Don! What does MDLM say about solving %'s, though? I wasn't sure when I started, but I feel much more comfortable moving on when my % is around 95% or higher on all difficulty levels. Will you go back afterwards to try and raise these percents?

    By Blogger CelticDeath, at 11:12 AM  

  • Way to go Don! Show us the way!!

    I'm not worried about the percentages as long as I feel like I'm getting something out of doing the problems, even if I score pretty low. The level 90+ problems were often right at that point to where I wasn't sure they were worth it or not, but I felt the calculation practice and recognizing those opportunities when the position was resolvable to me was worth pressing on.

    Regards,
    Chris

    By Blogger fussylizard, at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home