Man de la Maza

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Somebody Might Have Mistaken Me for a Chess Player

I was dog tired last night and yet I did fairly well on the level 50's. In fact, I had my overall percentage damm near scaring 70% for a while. The last 10 probs were not that pretty though as fatigue started to set in ("Oh, that's wrong too. I'm crushed. How about this?") I might have just hit a nice run of probs. We'll see.

I started a thread on Mikhail Tal on Chess ninja. I've noticed that when I miss a problem completely, it is often from a Tal game. (Another knight mentioned this but I can't find the reference). I thought AFTER I finish this quixotic quest, I might pick up one of his game collections. This should either improve my tactical vision or hopelessly confuse me.

137 days down, 18 to go
898 problems down, 141 to go in Circle Three
Level 10: 96%, 44 sec/prob
Level 20: 93%, 79 sec/prob
Level 30: 78%, 114 sec/prob
Level 40: 70%, 141 sec/prob
Level 50: 67%, 135 sec/prob

7 Comments:

  • I think I might be the knight you're thinking about as the other one confounded by Tal. It's like he tossed all the balls into the air and the correct solution requires you to determine in which order to catch them. Talk about wide trees!!! Anyway, Don, hang in there.

    By Blogger CelticDeath, at 10:51 AM  

  • I agree about Tal. They say a lot of his sacrifices were based more on intuition than thorough calculation (but I'm sure he was still a great calculator). Like Morozevich does now, Tal would often make a wild move that seemed to say, "This may not be objectively best, but I'll bet I can handle the resulting complications better than you." And more often than not, he could.

    By Blogger Chris, at 11:43 AM  

  • Ah the great masters. I have to say though it does feel good when you solve through a combo and then the name Tal, Petrosian, Botvinnik (sp?) pops up on the solution, and for a moment, just a moment, you are amongst the legends.

    By Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza, at 5:17 PM  

  • Same here, very confounding.

    By Blogger King of the Spill, at 6:29 PM  

  • So who says whe don't study the games of the great?

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 2:40 AM  

  • I also had an experience of playing through a combination only to find I had found what GM Vidmar years ago. This was especially fun since GM Vidmar is one of my favorite chess personalities for playing the most beatiful move ever played (http://chess.eusa.ed.ac.uk/Chess/Trivia/Fairestmove.html), but I had never seen one of his games.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 5:21 AM  

  • Ditto for me on the Tal problems.

    I think the reason Morozevich does so well in blindfold chess is that he is used to playing non-standard positions ("Morozevich positions" as Nigel Short recently said in the 2005 Wilk Ann Zee tournament). Other players get drawn into his world of wild complications and unexpected moves, and they go astray.

    Overall Morozevich is one of my favorite players in tournaments. You always know he will do something interesting...

    By Blogger fussylizard, at 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home