Man de la Maza

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Adsense

I've been doing a lot of thanking this week. There is one group of people who has helped me a quite a bit who I have not thanked -- the people at blogger. Having this blog available to me for free has been a great service. It occurs that the proper way to thank them would be to open up the site to advertising. I had avoided anything like this all along because I didn't want distractions. This isn't about money; this is about chess.

But, it is about money for the people at www.Blogger.com (ultimately the people at Google, a company for which I have a lot of respect). They are running a business. Though they have not asked for anything, it seems ungrateful to continue to use their tools and server space without offering them anything in return. As such, I propose applying to participate in the Google Adsense program . Whatever meager revenue that is generataed by the site, I will donate to charity, probably buying sets for local scholastic clubs and the like.

I am well aware that this has become a group effort though, so I would like to hear everyone's input. I will go with the simple majority of votes cast by the Knights and DG before next Sunday. I'd also be happy to hear the thoughts of our readers.

15 Comments:

  • I really don't have an opinion on this subject. I thought you earned a splendid income by advertising for Convekta already :)

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 6:20 PM  

  • I wish!

    Actually, I am happy for every dollar that goes to GM Maxim Blokh. I think he put together a fine program.

    Unless you post otherwise, I will count you as abstaining.

    By Blogger Don Q., at 6:56 PM  

  • Seems like a win for everyone. You are correct that the folks at google deserve our thanks and support. And from what I've seen the ads are not objectionable nor intrusive.

    By Blogger Dave, at 7:46 PM  

  • fine by me

    By Blogger Nezha, at 8:02 PM  

  • Sounds fine with me.
    I like the idea of using the proceeds to buy chess sets, even chess books for the school systems, or head start programs.
    So I here by pledge any revenue generated through my participation towards said venture.
    There are quite a few places around here where I could donate sets. A few of the inner city schools, The Boys and Girls Club, YMCA, YWCA, Domestic Abuse Shelters, even Toys for Tots, the possibilities are endless.

    It seems fairly easy to set-up, so just let me know when we hit a majority vote, if that indeed is even really required. Since the banners would be added by each individual member, those choosing not to join the program simply wouldn't be involved with registering anyway. But the idea of using whatever we generate towards helping children
    become acquainted with the wonderful world of chess can’t be a bad thing.

    By Blogger Sancho Pawnza, at 8:03 PM  

  • Yes vote here. I'm not sure if I will put it on my site though. If the proceeds could go directly to your charity that would be best for me.

    By Blogger Pawnsensei, at 9:48 PM  

  • fine by me.
    Jim Takchess

    By Blogger takchess, at 1:41 AM  

  • Count me in.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:19 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:20 AM  

  • That sound good to me. I won't mind any distractions.

    By Blogger Calvin, at 8:35 PM  

  • That sound good to me. I won't mind any distractions.

    By Blogger Calvin, at 8:35 PM  

  • That sound good to me. I won't mind any distractions.

    By Blogger Calvin, at 8:36 PM  

  • That sound good to me. I won't mind any distractions.

    generalkaia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:36 PM  

  • Don - I have posted my thoughts on your idea here.

    By Blogger David Glickman, at 9:22 AM  

  • DG's post is very thoughtful and sheds helpful light onto the business. I probably wouldn't include ads on my blog, but might donate to Google for this service.

    As for specifics: can someone link to a blog that is using adsense so we can see how obtrusive it is?

    By Blogger Blue Devil Knight, at 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home