Man de la Maza

Sunday, March 06, 2005

In the Middle of Circle 6

It's been quite the 24 hours of chess probs. Saturday morning I slept in. Slept "over" would perhaps be more appropriate since I did not arise until after noon. The Empress and my youngest daughter were out and about, so the house was quite nice. Unfortuantely, the eldest daughter told on me (I was supposed to get and do some of the problems in the morning, so I wouldn't be tied up all day). Thus I woke in Dutch with the Empress. Did a charity storytelling event in the afternoon, and all in all, it was after 3 PM yesterday when I sat down to start circle 6.

I finished sometime after 11:30 PM. Took a few breaks here and there, and I did some background studying of the level 40's I had missed on earlier rounds. Doing 700 chess problems in that span on time was more difficult that I thought. The problems themselves weren't that bad, but after about 600, my eyes started to glaze over. It's tricky because you can recognize patterns a little better when you think a little passively rather than actively. There is a fine line between doing this and spacing out.

Putting together a lot of problems that I had had trouble with before. In fact, I have achieved my goal of getting 90% + on both level 30 and 40. Just finished level 40 as part of today's probs. Visualizing things in a new way on some of the advanced problems. "Seeing" the whole combination in my mind's eye as though the collection of moves is a pattern. Hard to describe but definitely something new. A clearer picture somehow.

Having already knocked out 121 probs today, only 218 remain. That doesn't sound like a lot, but I have to remember that Friday night I did only 180 of these 218, and I was very difficult. I hope that better rest and another time having been through them makes it easier. If time permits, I want to spend some time with my Level 50 mistakes tonight. I should be very pleased if I could get that one up to 90% tomorrow. Bit of a tall order, but worth a shot.

153.33 days down, 1.67 to go
821 problems down, 218 to go in Circle Six
Level 10: 98%
Level 20: 96%
Level 30: 93%
Level 40: 91%

3 Comments:

  • Circle 6. I can only imagine how it must feel to almost be through.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:35 PM  

  • I can imagine that RSI is a side-effect of the program.

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 2:08 PM  

  • Once you get through with Circle 7, expound on those interesting "side-effects" a bit more.
    But until then keep on keeping on.
    :)

    By Blogger Sancho Pawnza, at 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home