Man de la Maza

Thursday, March 10, 2005

I'll miss you, Gary.

I just read on Chessbase that Gary Kasparov is retiring from professional chess. I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand his decision. (Apparently, some are taking it harder than others.) He has always been a favorite of mine. Though occasionally a little high strung, I think overall he has behaved admirably as a top player and world champion. He may well be the greatest chess player ever to have walked the earth.

Of all that he ever did, he gained my respect most for winning game 24 against Karpov in Seville to retain his title. This was his hero's moment in my view. It was the equivalent of Muhammmed Ali beating George Foreman -- a task imposssible to accomplish (though in Kasparov's case he did not risk been beaten to death).

Thanks for all the games, Gary. Best of luck.

Back in the Saddle
Since I didn't have umpteen hours of chess problems to do tonight, I went to chess club for a change. I went 3-0 in the top quad. We played G/25 which I usually stink at, so it was gratifying. Two of my oppponents were not that good, but one was a solid class B player. Hope to play in a tourney or two in the coming months to take the new tactical me for a spin.

New Ratings Peak
It's unofficial, but I have reached a new ratings high of 1663. I just checked the USCF site, and I picked up about 100 points in the club championship. At the end of the month, I will officially be a class B player and achieve my highest rating ever. 137 points to class A. That'd be sweet.

3 Comments:

  • Wow. I just stumbled on this cult (hehehe) and offer my sincere congratulations to your dedication and perserverance. I am contemplating taking on this quest myself. I really enjoyed reading your posts.

    If you could do it all over again, how would you go about it?

    Perrito
    (perrito on ICC)
    perrito_chess@yahoo.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  

  • You encounter now new problems I assume. Like how to spend those endless evenings. And you have to strike up a new acquaintance with your family. . .

    By Blogger Temposchlucker, at 12:07 AM  

  • Congrats on entering the B class!

    By Blogger Chris, at 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home